Friday, March 16, 2012

analyzing society

Before you read this, I would strongly encourage you to listen to these songs without reading how I feel below and come up with your own answer. Analyze the lyrics of the song and the composition of the video (meaning why they filmed this or that or used this location or stood or danced like that). These are my own opinions and I am subject to be wrong. Coming up with your own idea would be better for you. I don't want to feed you my opinion, but challenge you to come up with your own. With that said, I hope I encourage you to think outside of your normal thinking. 

What does this video and song say about society?



And what does this video and song say about society?



These songs are by no means similar, in case you couldn't tell. One Direction is a boy band from the UK popular among teenage girls. Arcade Fire is a controversial indie band popular among "hipsters." I am a hipster, even though some things that hipsters do I do not agree with, so I favor Arcade Fire. 

Here are my thoughts on the videos:

The first video is based off a false reality. No wonder why teenage girls like this band so much. For teenagers, a false reality where you can image this undying worship of a boyfriend/girlfriend and it be okay. Honestly, if my relationship were like the One Direction song, I'd probably end it. That kind of relationship is just unhealthy and will destroy both people in the relationship. The first video shows how much our society runs off the idea of needing to be loved. Our society idolizes this worship. I don't want my husband to complete me. I want him to push me to be better and a more whole person. I don't want to be fully dependent on him because I know he will fail me. I do not like the way society views love and how highly it is prioritized.

The second video is a criticism of society. When I watched this video for the first time, my first reaction was "This is exactly how I feel about society!" Society is portrayed as dead clones who just follow the movement of society. Comparing these two videos is like comparing fire and water. The second video is actually criticizing the first video. Arcade Fire typically has very critical lyrics about society. If you like this song, I would highly suggest analyzing the song "The Suburbs". This song has provoked so much thought for me. There is so much I could say about this song, but I'll leave the rest to your imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment